Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 Nov 2021 06:56:23 GMT by Peter Kosak
Hi, I worked in Scotland for 13 years and in 2019 I left the UK to Czech Republic (Slovak citizen). Since that moment I became a Czech Republic taxpayer/self employee (Software Developer) with no income in the UK. I have never claimed any benefits, dont have any income in the UK and not been there since. Now I am receiving emails regarding filling self assessment. So I tried to login and start working on self assessment and question about taxpayer residency status. Taxpayer residency status: English and Northern Irish Scottish Welsh 1st Question: What to select above? Since none of them applies to me. 2nd Question: How can I tell HMRC that I have nothing with UK anymore and I am taxpayer last 2 years in Czech Republic paying all my taxes here. I dont understand why do I need to submit this self assessment form since I am not taxpayer in UK. I know HMRC is owning me money since I have overpaid them because I left the UK in the middle of the year and that means I would most likely get some money back but I dont even want them since I just want to have a peace in my live and not to deal with authorities for couple hundreds of pounds. Not worth the effort so they can keep it. 3rd Question: I have an account still registered in the UK and once a year I will get like £0.23 on interest so can this cause a problems and thats why I am getting those emails regarding to fill self assessment? Please let me know and take care UK. 
Posted Wed, 17 Nov 2021 15:34:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You cannot log in to HMRC's online system if you are no longer UK resident.

It may be best in this case to contact us direct to see why we are requesting tax returns and if they are still required.

The £0.23 of interest will not be a reason for completing a return.

See links:

Self Assessment tax returns   and :

Self Assessment: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.