Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:02:45 GMT by William
Hi, I am new to England. Do I need to report tax if I have no income in the financial year? (Not self-employed, I had some savings and was on something else) Thanks a lot.
Posted Tue, 23 Aug 2022 12:40:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year :

Residence, Domicile and Remittance Basis Manual  .

If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK :

Tax on foreign income .

  The guidance at RDRM12150 at will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Aug 2022 10:48:46 GMT by William
Hi, I tried to register to the self assessment. But then I got an email saying that my address does not match HMRC's record. Then I went to check the address of my HMRC account. The address was correct. Then I registered again, the address was check and correct but got the same email. So I think it could be something else. Maybe my case does not need to report tax? My case : Not born and raised in UK. Had a full time in April - May 2021 overseas. Arrived UK in June 2021(also first time visit UK as well). Do I need to report tax? Thanks
Posted Tue, 30 Aug 2022 15:20:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

Please note that you can register for Self Assessment by filling in form SA1, then printing and posting the completed form to HMRC.                                                    

Registering for Self Assessment and getting a tax return    
To check if you need  to submit a Self Assessment tax return , please use our Self Assessment criteria tool:                                                

Registering for Self Assessment and getting a tax return

Thank you.



You must be signed in to post in this forum.