Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Nov 2021 19:56:22 GMT by Hannah
Hiya, I'm currently employed on a full-time basis and pay tax/ni on my salary. I'm about to start picking up some extra occasional work on the side on a self-employed basis. Presumably I need to register for self assessment but how will that affect my tax code with my current employer? Do I need to pay NI on my occasional income or is that covered by my full-time salary? Do I declare my salary and current tax code within the self-assessment or will HMRC automatically work it out based on the existing records they have for me? I'm pretty clueless about the whole self assessment process and how the tax is worked out when you already pay tax via PAYE but I dont want to mess it up and end up with a huge bill! Hannah
Posted Mon, 08 Nov 2021 12:28:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

When you complete Self Assessment, you tell us about all your income, you include the Employment income and the tax already deducted from this.

It would not affect your tax code.

The national insurance (NI) due on the SE income is different from the NI that is deducted from your salary.



You must be signed in to post in this forum.