Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 27 Mar 2021 17:29:32 GMT by
Hi I received a P800 notice from HMRC saying I was due a tax refund and a cheque was being sent to Brooksdale Limited. I do not recall signing any papers to make these my agents, but HMRC say they have something on file from them. I must have inadvertently filled in a form without realising what it was really for, thinking it was for something else. Has anyone else had experience of this and can I now request HMRC to remove this company from my file and deal directly only with m? Also why did not HMRC contact me prior to sending them the cheque as I believe I have been scammed by this company and am not sure what document HMRC have on file or even if I signed it!
Posted Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:27:29 GMT by
Hi - I have also just received a letter from HMRC saying I overpaid tax in the tax year April 2017-April 2018 and that they are sending a cheque to Brooksdale Ltd. I did sign something from them a while ago, to do with claiming PPI or something. Did you resolve this in the end and get the tax refund send to you directly? I am interested to know what happened, or what I should do.
Posted Thu, 01 Jul 2021 14:10:44 GMT by LynnMarie Lindley
Hi - I have been speaking to the same company since HMRC sent my cheque to them on 17 March 2021 and they are constantly either ignoring me or 'fobbing me off'. This is my money and I am entitled to it. How can I move this forward or have the cheque reissued to me and remove them from the equation as I too don't remember signing anything and have never heard of them. Can I report them as they are holding onto money which is rightfully mine? Thank you
Posted Mon, 05 Jul 2021 10:51:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If we received a form assigning the refund to the company we are unable to cancel the repayment to them unless we receive a signed agreement from both you and the company.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:24:40 GMT by
I have no knowledge of accepting Brooksdale as an agent although I did receive a PPI refund from We fight any claim some years ago. I understand you have now sent my refund to Brooksdale but have not received any refund from Brooksdale as yet
Posted Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:47:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are unaware of signing any documents, if you contact our income tax department we can issue a copy of the document we received :

Income Tax: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 08:57:40 GMT by
I'm in a similar boat. I vaguely recall enquiring online a few months back, but have no recollection of 'signing up' or giving authority to Brooksdale. Now I apparently have a refund on it's way to Brooksdale? Surely there must be a more definite way of establishing a contract that allows them to do this? What level of information are Brooksdale getting access to? I've literally only just got this and have not had chance to contact anyone (yet) to see what I can do...
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 11:31:52 GMT by
Hi I have just had the same letter and I am trying to contact Brooksdale as I speak (been waiting for 30 mins and counting). I did sign up with them regarding claiming tax back from PPI claims however there was nothing in that signing that stated any tax refunds not related to PPI would go through them and HMRC have always sent a cheque directly to me in the past. This is all weird and if I get to speak to anyone (I am also going to e-mail them) or indeed get anything from them I will be sure to post an update.
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 11:47:10 GMT by
OK Guys - Just spoken to Brooksdale. The tax refund for myself is because Brooksdale made a claim on my behalf (which is what I signed up for with them) in relation to my PPI claims back in 2018/19. The cheque has gone to them and once they have taken their cut of 48% ! they will send me a cheque for the balance. I don't know if all of you on here are in the same boat as me and have made PPI claims in the past but that is why Brookdales are involved. If HMRC owe you tax on your personal taxable earnings etc I don't believe they would send any refund through an agent but just my view. Hope this helps some of you out there
Posted Mon, 09 May 2022 14:15:48 GMT by
Hi I have same problem . I contacted Brooksdale who told me I would not of got a refund if they had not applied for it. They also said it was Claims guys who passed my details to them umm ,. I don't recall allowing this to happen in Nov when they said Isentfinger print authorisation. I am waiting to speak to HMRC at the moment . All seems odd
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 15:58:06 GMT by
Hi same here. I did make a claim with the Claims Guys for a PPI refund but, despite what Brooksdale Ltd tell you I like many others it would seem Have been somehow been put into an agreement for them to claim any tax overpayment on my behalf. I think as a former records manager, that you shouldn't take a companies word that an agreement has been made with them and that you should check with the person who made the overpayment. Probably you really need to stop dealing with this company altogether as it seems unfair that this is continuing to happen (I see some of these comments go back a number of years). No wonder everyone on here is angry, you are just taking their word that an agreement was made without checking with the other side of said agreement. Disgusting way to carry on. In the past you would just write to me if I overpaid but this time you just believed a company that I've never heard of.
Posted Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:13:44 GMT by
I definitely don't recall signing anything about general tax overpayments going through this company - but I've had a letter similar to everyone here saying my income tax overpayment is going to them. I did use The Claims Guys for my PPI about 5/6 years ago, so assume this is why this agreement is in place. I really don't want this company I haven't directly appointed to see or in any way have sight of or manage my tax affairs. Has anyone managed to speak to HMRC/Brooksdale about getting this agreement changed or terminated?
Posted Tue, 05 Jul 2022 08:23:45 GMT by
I have the same problem, so I've called HMRC today on 03002003300 and they advised they will cancel the cheque to Brooksdale limited and re-issue in my name (can take up to the 24/09/22 but at least I'll receive the full amount and not give it to those scammers) and HMRC will delete Brooksdale from my account. I hope this helps other people in the same situation.
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 11:10:33 GMT by Very Annoyed
I have received a text from Brooksdale following a letter from HMRC for a tax refund. I have not appointed them as my agent and they want nearly 50% of my tax rebate. What can I do? My data has now been shared with a 3rd party. Surely this is not right? Brooksdale have only been in existence just over 2 years, it is a private limited company and by the looks of it just one director. Looks like a scam to me. I want my money directly from HMRC. Any advice?
Posted Thu, 07 Jul 2022 13:35:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 30
Hi, 

If we have issued the repayment to Brooksdale, we will have received a document authorising the repayment to be sent to them.

If you contact us we can send a copy of the document we received

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 24 Jul 2022 20:47:52 GMT by deggsyuk
im also been stung by Brooksdale i enquired about PPI tax rebate i then had a letter from HMRC saying they sent 2 cheques to said company for overpayment on my PAYE not PPI then Brookside say they received one cheque and i had to pay them 48% of it to them and when i put a review on one of the sites they monitor after they didnt reply to my emails or answer there phone they replied to the review they sent a copy off the agreement i supposed to have sign with a signature which wasnt mine then when i replied to there email saying that it wasnt my signature and why they saying they only had 1 cheque when HMRC said they sent 2 they stopped replying again
Posted Sat, 06 Aug 2022 16:54:31 GMT by
Hi I have also been stung by Brooksdale HMRC said they had posted me a chq in June. I then received an email from Brooksdale saying they had money for me from HMRC, I’d never hear of them. After several phone calls they said they were in partnership with the claims guys, whom I’d used some years ago and that I’d signed an agreement for them to get back my PPI tax. The chap I spoke to was adamant that this was what the money was. Having investigated, it was definitely not PPI tax but my income tax refund that was due to me anyway as I’d not worked for a while. They took almost half my refund. I was shocked that HMRC didn’t notify me of this happening. I have never given permission to the claims guys to hand my data over to another Company and am now I am fighting to get the rest back. Surely this is not right and so easy for someone else to get you own hard earned cash.
Posted Mon, 08 Aug 2022 12:30:12 GMT by
Hi Amina Hill, 

If you contact our helpline we can send you a copy of the correspondence we received:

Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:27:02 GMT by Laney
On 2nd of August I received a letter from hmrc saying got a tax refund at the bottom if the letter it said its going to the claim guys limited I rung tax office they informed me iv signed a form giving them permission so trued getting intouch tried all the diffrent departments same message nobody can answer the phone right now please email did that on the 4th automatic response answer in 5 days rung action fraud made a statement rung hmrc back they said I need the ip address etc I did explain carnt get hold of them but nothing can be done payment can not be stopped what can I do
Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 12:00:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

If we have received a document showing a signature we are required to issue the repayment. We can send you a copy of this document if you ask our helpline. If you do not believe that you agreed for the repayment to be sent to them, you will need to keep trying to contacting them and reporting this to action fraud:

Than you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.