Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 11:49:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Carrwood Ltd shoud pass the repayment on to you. You will need to contact Carrwood Ltd. 

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 15 Oct 2023 19:11:30 GMT by Karen Gibbons
Now checked with actionfraud, and despite me no having asked Brookdale to request a tax refund , despite brooksdale sending in forms with what looks like a bad scan of my signature ...there's nothing they can do. I went paperless with HMRC so I didn't get a letter about the tax refund , and I ignored brooksdale texts thinking they were a scam I'm cancelled going paperless now But what's to stop brooksdale doing it again next year. Seeing as they seem to have been getting away with it for the last 3 years based on just this forum post alone. And what do I do if HMRC try to take back the money the refunded that I haven't had ?
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:57:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Karen Gibbons,
There has been a change in process regarding assignments.
Any assignments received after 19 July 2023 will not be accepted and the repayment will be made direct to the customer, unless the claim also includes a valid nomination. 
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:23:16 GMT by
I have just received an email and a text today from Brooksdale to say that they have been paid a refund on my behalf from HMRC relating to the 21-22 Tax year. I have had no notification about this from HMRC directly and do not have any recollection of instructing Brooksdale to act on my behalf. I have logged in to the Government Gateway and indeed I was due a refund of approx £190 but Brooksdale want to give me £95. Why have I not received this money previously from HMRC as it says I should have done
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 08:31:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi WilliamsG14,
Sorry, we would need to access your record to check on the claim submitted that led to the repayment.
You will need to contact HMRC to check this for you:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 13:56:07 GMT by
Hi, I received a letter at the end of July saying HMRC owed me money and a cheque would be sent to Legal Ventures Limited. I just assumed they would then forward a cheque on to me but I haven't received anything. Does anybody know how I find out how to get my refund? Thank You
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 10:46:53 GMT by
Recently received letter from HMRC saying cheque issued to Brooksdale due to a claim for repayment of tax for the tax year 2019/20. The calculation in the letter shows Savings Income that I have never received. I have not claimed PPI or appointed Brooksdale to act for me. Furthermore HMRC confirm they have not received a 2019/20 tax return from me. This seems to be a scam but the HMRC scam line doesn't deal with letters like this from HMRC. HMRC say they have a signed authority in Brooksdale's name. How do I get a copy of that document?
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 12:56:43 GMT by Very Annoyed
I contacted Brooksdale asking them why they were holding my money. They informed me that when I made a PPI claim via the Claims Guys I ticked their T&C's and hidden within it was that I accepted Brooksdale as my agent. I didnt notice this, why should I it's, a different company or so I thought. I evoked their right to be my agent as was suggested on this forum. Brooksdale refused to agree and wanted 40% of my tax refund (the refund was a little over £100). I phoned Brooksdale to discuss and I was told to be quiet as I didn't know what I was talking about amonst other things. A letter of complaint was sent to them. They did acknowledge my letter and said the guy had been sacked. I don't believe that. I still have not had my money from HMRC although I advised them I had sent a letter to Brooksdale and sent HMRC a copy. Personally I think it is fraud hiding Brooksdale as an agent for HMRC within another company's T&Cs that had absolutely nothing to do with tax refunds. Where do I go from here? Its been dragging on for a couple of years. Its my money not Brookdales. FRAUDSTERS
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:54:19 GMT by
I received a letter direct from HMRC with a tax rebate about 2 weeks ago - now Fast Claim are claiming i owe them a third of that as they obtained the rebate on my behalf. Is this a scam as I haven't asked them to act on my behalf?
Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:31:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CATHERINE DOHERTY,
Thank you for getting in touch!
If you’ve requested that Legal Ventures Limited, or any other 3rd party agent, act on your behalf in claiming a repayment, we’re obliged to send that repayment directly to them after it’s calculated.
If they haven’t now sent that repayment to you, you’ll need to contact Legal Venture Limited directly to confirm when they’ll be sending you your repayment.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:48:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Very Annoyed,
By signing the deed of assignment, you have legally transferred your right to the repayment to the assignee - Brooksdale - and as such they are entitled to receive their share. Unfortunatly there is nothing HMRC can do for you in this case.
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:20:03 GMT by
HMRC the so called Deed of Assignments that you refer to that we have all allegedly signed are all FAKE, why are you not picking up on this?!?!?!? The signatures are forged. Why are you ignoring this? Why are you continuing to issue refunds to these companies years later? Surely after all these complaints you should at least be investigating this matter yourselves!!!
Posted Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:24:59 GMT by
Please give us clear instructions on how to stop anyone else claiming money on our behalf.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:45:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Mark H,
We would need to access your record to check what details were received to process the claim.
You can contact HMRC:
Income Tax: general enquiries
If you think the claim is a scam you would need to report the details to Action Fraud 0300 123 2040
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:29:36 GMT by
You did access my records at the time, you sent me a copy of the Deed of Assignment which I had allegedly signed. I informed you that it was not my signature and my name had been misspelled. You told me to contact Action Fraud which I did and this was their response - it is not classed as a crime!!!! “The use of another person’s identity, often referred to as identity theft, is not a police recordable crime. Where the details are used to obtain goods or services, we can only record a crime on behalf of the person or organisation which was defrauded as a result of the misuse of an identity. Whilst the misuse of your identity cannot be classified as a police recorded crime, we do recognise that identity theft can cause significant distress and inconvenience”.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:51:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Alan
You can get a copy by contacting HMRC to access your records. Income Tax: general enquiries.
If there has been a scam claim on your behalf you would need to report the details to action fraud 0300 123 2040 website www.actionfraud.police.uk
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 14:10:34 GMT by Karen Gibbons
I also went through ClaimGuys and maybe I didn't see the small print. BUT 1) that was years ago 2) Brooksdale is a completely different company name 3) The document they sent into HMRC had what looked to be a condensed scanned copy of my signature. I hadn't seen the form before nor have I signed This has to be fraud surely, but Action Fraud say nothing further they can do. I'm not even sure that the tax refund is correct as the form they filled in didn't look to me to have the right figures on it. I haven't contacted Brooksdale at all, as I think the issue should be resolved HMRC end as they acceptd the documents without contacting me to check they were genuine. What do I do now?
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 15:00:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Domini Beniston,
If you do not want a 3rd party to make a claim/act on your behalf then you should not sign authority for them to act on your behalf or nominate them to receive a repayment on your behalf.
If you authorised an agent to act on your behalf in the past and you no longer want this to be the case, then you would need to contact HMRC to update your records. 
Contact HMRC
If you signed a deed of assignment  this can only be revoked by both parties writing to HMRC revoking the deed.
If you think you have been the victim of a scam claim then you would need to report the details to:
Action Fraud 0300 123 2040 website www.actionfraud.police.uk
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:41:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Karen,

I would advise to contact Brooksdale to find out how the obtained the details to make the claim. If you think it is a fraudulent claim then the correct course of action is to submit the details to action fraud. 

Action Fraud - National Fraud & Cyber Crime Reporting Centre

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:47:03 GMT by Karen Gibbons
Hi I tried to contact Brooksdale via the email they originally sent, without my requesting it, to me. It came back that I was blocked. So, I sent a letter recorded delivery. They have replied by email with a PDF letter attached. 1. I would like to make you aware that when the sign up was completed you will have received an email and SMS with a welcome pack and a copy of our terms and conditions. I have attached a copy of the terms and conditions for your records. Since the sign up was 02/04/2023 we have not received any communications to dispute this was yourself/your details. ==>I didn't reply to it as I didn't recognise the company and thought it was a scam. I don't click on links I don't recognise. 2. In relation to the signature provided this was done electronically and this was API linked into our system. This is authorisation for us to act on your behalf. ==>An API, they don't say where the signature came from originally. 3, When a customer completes an online application form and signs up with Brooksdale Limited we do also capture certain details such as the IP address when the sign up was completed. ==>the details attached match the model of my mobile.but I don't recognise the rest of the details and OpalNet, that's not an ISP I recognise. I definitely didnt complete a form. When I was considering whether to claim or I may have clicked on a link but I have no record of any forms. I have tried to update the report I lodged with ActionFraud in May but I can't see where to upload the document. How do I ensure Brooksdale or another random agent doesn't grab my details and try to get tax refunds in the future. regards 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.