Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 30 Mar 2022 15:40:09 GMT by Susan BErry
Can anyone help please? I have been asked to confirm my registration for self assessment, but I am not working (just reached pension age), have not been self employed for over 20 years, have no other income, no other properties apart from the one I live in, and cannot understand why I need to complete a self assessment form. I do not have enough income to pay tax. I have tried calling HMRC, but after going through lots of questions, he said he would transfer me to someone else and after 45 minutes I was cut off. Since then I have been unable to get through to speak to anyone about it. Thanks
Posted Thu, 31 Mar 2022 16:47:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Susan BErry,

Unfortunately we are unable to access your records on the forum.  Please try to contact your tax office to speak with an adviser who can review your situation:

Contact HMRC

you can also check the criteria tool for Self Assessment as there are many factors why you may be asked to complete a tax return form:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 16:08:17 GMT by Susan BErry
As far as I can tell I do not need to send a Self Assessment tax return. Unfortunately I am unable to speak to anyone to help me. Last time I managed to speak to someone he told me he would transfer me to someone to help, but after holding for 45 minutes to be transferred, I was cut off. When I have tried calling since, I am told that lines are busy so I might have to hold longer than normal, but I am not given the opportunity as I am then cut off. This has happened several times.
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 11:18:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Our helplines are busy at the moment, if you complete the tool for checking if you meet criteria,
it will list all the contact methods at the end :

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return    .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.