Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 11:44:45 GMT by Chris
Hi there, I left the UK in Aug 2020. My 2020/21 self-assessment return, which was submitted by my then accountants, informed HMRC of the changes. However, the online service indicates that a tax return is expected to be submitted for 2021/22, even though I'm no longer resident with no UK-based income. I was informed by the accountants that I must submit a 'nil return' to HMRC for 2021/22. However, it states that non-residents cannot use the online system and must use software instead. They have offered to do it for me for £100, which seems a lot, and so I was wondering if anyone can advise me on submitting a 'nil return'? How do I go about doing it myself? Do I have to purchase and use software for this? Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:30:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to guidance below to ensure one is not needed. There is a link at the end to get your record closed if a return is not needed.

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 10:21:15 GMT by Gusman1859
Hi, I am in the same position as Chris. Can you advise how to submit a Nil return please. I am non-resident in UK but cant have my SA record closed due to an ongoing enquiry hence the need for a Nil Return. Can you post a link to the Nil return form please. Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 10:30:15 GMT by Chris
Hi there - thanks for getting back to me on this. Within the Government Gateway itself it is asking me to submit a tax return for 2021/22. I would like to continue paying voluntary Class 2 NI contributions moving forward- I don't know if that impacts things? Thanks, 
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 11:25:13 GMT by Chris
So, I managed to get through to HMRC on the phone, and it seems my former accountants didn't inform me that the SA request could actually be withdrawn, with no need to submit a nil return, which has now been carried out. @Gusman1859 - I hope you find a solution! Thanks for your help. Chris
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:18:01 GMT by Gusman1859
Thanks Chris Kind regards
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:54:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Chris,

If you contact the NIC helpline on 0300 200 3500, they will be able to help.
 For more information, have a look at Voluntary National Insurance

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.