Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 12:56:36 GMT by TomW
Hi, I have a work pension where I pay contributions before tax is deducted (i.e. from payslip). I would also like to pay additional amount i.e £10,000 which is saved pay after tax paid. I also have Income from property on top of my PAYE. When filing SA, where do I show the £10,000 paid to my workplace pension?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:21:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
On a paper SA100, you would show the gross paid into the pension scheme by you and your pension provider in box 1 of page TR4.  
When tailoring the online tax return on page 3 of 3, tick yes to Did you make contributions towards a personal pension or retirement annuity?
This does not include payments you make to your employer's pension scheme, which are deducted from your pay.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:12:57 GMT by TomW
So how do I make the calculations to figure out how much tax there will be to pay? Eg. 42k forem PAYE 12k from property -9.5k after expenses 6k tax payed via PAYE Remaining tax to pay? And if I pay 10k into the work pension . Will that remaining tax to pay reduce?
Posted Tue, 02 Apr 2024 08:55:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

We can only provide general advice and guidance in this forum.  

You may need to contact our Self assessment team or seek professional advice.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 02 Apr 2024 18:25:36 GMT by TomW
If I pay into my wife's work pension, will I be able to claim it on my return?
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 13:58:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi TomW

No.  You can only claim for payments you make into your own pension.  Your iwfe can claim for any payments you make into her pension scheme.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.