Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 21:01:40 GMT by valegra Graziuso
Hello, I am employed full-time and pay taxes via PAYE. On top of that I do occasional freelance work/online sales, which from 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022 amounted to less than £1000. I registered for self-assessment and got my UTC code for the future, but I would like to double check if I need to file for self-assessment for this last financial year as I am not sure my earnings as a freelancer should be added to what I already earn and get taxed as a full-time employee, Thanks for the info and time!
Posted Mon, 16 Jan 2023 15:43:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you have already registered for self assessment as a self-employed individual, you will have to file a return for the 2021/22 tax year
(and any earlier years during which you were self employed). 

If you wish to de-register from Self Assessment on the grounds that your self employed income will be less than the £1000 Trading Allowance,
please call our Self Assessment helpline.    

See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries   and :

Tax-free allowances on property and trading income   .

THank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Jan 2023 16:02:11 GMT by valegra Graziuso
Hello, Thank you for your answer. I know that I would need to declare my self-employed income for the year 22/23 as I already know I received payments exceeding £1000 for this period. Should I then de-register and register again later on?
Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 13:54:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi valegra Graziuso,

You can do this and then register again once you meet the criteria for completing the return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.