Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 18 Jun 2022 14:00:57 GMT by Ezekiel_2517
Dear HMRC, In November 2015 I invested 10,000 GBP in a 4-year mini bond. In 2018 the company defaulted, entered into administration and was dissolved in December 2019. I have not declared this loss in my previous self assessment and I am now filling my self assessment for 2021-2022. In the above something I can declare as a capital tax loss? Given that I don't have any capital tax gains, if I do will it have any impact? An in case I can declare it as a capital tax loss, until when can I use it to offset capital tax gains? Thanks in advance for your help Kind regards Pierre
Posted Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:04:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You need to advise HMRC of any capital loss within 4 years of the end of the tax year in which it occured to allow the loss to be carried forward and used at a later date. You will not declare it n the 2021/22 tax year as the loss did not occur then.
You will need to provide the information by letter to have your record noted.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.