Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 09 Dec 2022 10:34:34 GMT by Pam Stuart-Smith
I am trying to help a French friend to access the self-assessment online system. She has a Gov Gateway number but the system is asking for an access code. She cannot get that without proving her identity, however, she does not have the documents that are asked for i.e. she has a French Passport and French Driving Licence. We have been going round in circles trying to find the answers and have failed. Is it actually possible for a French National to register for the online system of Self Assessment. She is working here and pays PAYE but has foreign income which is why she needs to 'Self-Assess'.
Posted Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:57:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

For passport and Driving Licence only UK ones can be used. All the options available for verifying will be listed when trying to verify. If she is unable to verify she will need to complete a paper return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.