Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Mar 2021 16:39:57 GMT by KikiA
Hi, I initially registered for self assessment online in October and a Government Gateway ID was created. However, I never received anything from that registration (activation code for the account or UTR). After contacting HMRC it was found that my initial registration wasn't recorded anywhere. The adviser proceeded to register me again and I received a UTR number this week. The letter mentions that I need to create an account and wait for an activation code in the post in order to activate the account. My questions are: 1) Don't I already have an account with the Government Gateway ID? I mean I can log into that but there isn't any information in it. 2) Can I create another account using the same email that is used in the account mentioned earlier? 3) Do I create a personal or business account? I am quite confused around this because I have read that you can file for self assessment through your personal account as well as a business account. Please advise me what to do. Thank you!
Posted Tue, 23 Mar 2021 12:41:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If you already have a government gateway account you will be able to sign in using that account to request access to online self assessment.

Thank You.
Posted Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:06:25 GMT by KikiA
Hi, Thanks for the reply. So I log into the government gateway account that was initially created which shows a home page stating Business Tax Summary and says that I haven't added taxes to this account. Do I then follow the "set up your business tax account" steps? Will I need to verify my ID? How? Also, when I finally get to the point of actually declaring my income, do I do that based on the dates the services were offered or the dates the invoices were created? For example, I did work in October 2020 but the invoice for that was only just issued. Thanks
Posted Thu, 25 Mar 2021 08:27:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would add the tax that that relates to you so if it is individual sole trader select that option you might then have to verify your identity.

So declaring your income depends on what basis you are doing your accounting - cash basis or traditional accounting follow the link below which will describe both so you can decide how you will declare.  

Cash basis  .

Thank you.       

You must be signed in to post in this forum.