Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 02 Apr 2022 18:55:49 GMT by Sat2422
I would like to register for self assessment as i am self employed, but the link always takes me to a business tax account. However, I haven’t started any company but just working freelance on a personal basis. So can I register a personal tax account instead of a business one? How? The self employed link seems not giving me this choice at all!
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:24:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

When you register as Self Employed, this will take you to the Business Tax Account. 

As your Self Assessment is managed through the Business Tax Account, you will be able to access both your Self Assessment and Personal Tax account there.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 14:01:49 GMT by Sat2422
Thank you for your reply. So after I open the business tax account and file the self assessment tax return there, how would I be able to claim the personal allowance ? will my personal allowance apply automatically in the tax calculation system there? Or do I need to apply for it somewhere ?
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 14:38:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

The Personl Allowance would be applied automatically to the calculation.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 20:01:27 GMT by Sat2422
Thank you for your reply! In the self assessment tax return form, there seems to be a question asking if I have foreign income. My case is that I am working in U.K. giving online services to my clients. Some clients are overseas and don’t have a U.K. bank account to pay me, so they pay to my overseas bank account in a foreign currency, then I converted their foreign currency into sterling pounds and deposited back into my U.K. bank account. In this case, how should I answer the question about foreign income in the self assessment tax return? Is this regarded as foreign income? As I said, I’m all the while working and giving my service in U.K. but some clients just don’t have sterling pound account to pay me. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Posted Wed, 11 May 2022 13:00:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

This income is still part of your UK self employed income and there is no need to complete the foreign pages. Please convert the currency into sterling. 

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 30 May 2022 00:41:23 GMT by Sat2422
Thank you for your reply. As I’m delivering online services to my clients, I wonder if I can claim my mobile data expense as an expenditure in filling out the self assessment tax return. However, the mobile data is not just serving my business purpose, it’s also serving the purpose of my personal usage. In that case, what should I do? Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 10:52:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would need to apportion the actual usage into what is business and what is personal.

Take the percentage for business use against your monthly charge to claim as a business expense eg 40% business useage
against a monthly bill of £20 would be £8  .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:45:12 GMT by Sat2422
Thank you very much for your advice. While applying for the Government gateway number, there’s a page asking for identity verification, apart from my passport, it requires one more item, such as p60, driving licence or credit card. As I’m a self employed person, I don’t have any p60 (I guess it’s something to do with previous employment? I don’t have it), I don’t have any driving licence or credit card either. Can i key in my debit card instead? It does mention a phone contract, which I do have one but that’s not a very formal one, like the phone company just indicated on the customer login page when my present contract expires. But I can remember when it started. Grateful for your advice! 🙏🏻
Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:24:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

Debit card details is not one of the options currently provided for verifying through the Government Gateway.

The journey will be updated during July and you may be able to verify then. If you are not able to verify you would register and complete tax returns by paper.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.