Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 14:07:43 GMT by victor123
Hi, I worked as a Contractor (inside IR35) between April 2021-June 2022. I moved from the UK in March 2022 to Romania. Am I entitled to any refunds for any of the dividends I took from the company or the taxes taken from the salary that came from the Contract? Also, they are asking me to continue to pay for the coming financial year as well. I called the SelfAssessment number and they said I should write a letter to them and add supporting documentation. Any advice on how can I solve this?
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 08:42:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi victor123,
You will need to complete the 22/23 tax return as income was received after 6/4/22 to confirm any repayment due.
This will also confirm the position with payments on account.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 08:58:36 GMT by victor123
I guess that does not answer my question. As I do not live in the UK, would I still need to pay UK tax for income after March 2022? There were still taxes taken from my IR35 after March 2022. Would that be a refund to me? If I do a self-assessment in Romania, as I am a resident here, they would ask me to pay tax on that money. That way I would pay taxes twice.
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 08:15:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would be due a refund on the UK taxes.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 08:19:01 GMT by victor123
How can I communicate this to HMRC? Do I need to send some kind of documents? Post or can I make an application online? I also raised a case Your reference is 2IF-PWCX-IE2, its been a month and still no reply.
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 17:05:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You still need to submit the tax return and include HS304 with it.
Non-residents tax relief under double taxation agreements (Self Assessment helpsheet HS304)

You must be signed in to post in this forum.