Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Mar 2021 21:16:33 GMT by Mark
Which figure should I be using to determine whether I have passed the £100k income threshold and therefore required to complete a self-assessment? I'm an employee with PAYE in effect. Is it the 'Total for Year' figure under the 'Pay and Income Tax details' section of my P60? I ask as when comparing previous years payslips and P60, it appears the P60 reports the total pay as being after pre-tax deductions. Using the following example figures, assuming this is the only source of income and has already been subject to PAYE, is self-assessment required? Gross earnings: £102,000 Pre-tax deductions: £14,000 Taxable pay (shown as 'Total for Year' on P60): £88,000
Posted Wed, 17 Mar 2021 15:17:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

You should use the figure from your P60.
It should include the figure for income before tax deductions and then the amount of tax that was deducted.

Thank You.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.