Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 06:06:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi UK expat,
If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year:
RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Contents.
If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK:
Tax on foreign income
The guidance at will help you work out if split year treatment applies.
RDRM12150 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Case 4: Starting to have a home in the UK only
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:10:00 GMT by UKAUQuery
Hi HMRC, I have a question about the Personal Tax Free Allowance of £12,570 and whether the allowance is pro rata'd where the split year treatment applies. Scenario: - UK Tax Resident for 2023/24 - Partial UK Tax Resident for 2024/25 (moving overseas). For example, UK Tax Resident from 6 April 2024 to 31 August 2024. - Relocating to Australia, so would be a tax resident in Australia after this period From what I understand, based on the split year treatment, I would need to pay tax in the UK on income earned between 6 April 2024 to 31 August 2024. My question is - am I able to claim the full Personal Tax Free Allowance of £12,570 for this period? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:14:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Personal allowances are not pro-rata and the full allowance is given.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2024 16:16:23 GMT by riy87
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.