Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:33:36 GMT by Npog
Hi, I have a chargeable event on a non qualifying life insurance. I was told it came to an end but had to work out the gain myself - the life insurance policy didn't do this. I have lived in UK for the last 13 of the 30 years of the life insurance and have worked out the time apportioned reductions. I assume it's the latter that I need to declare. I just cannot work out where I'm meant to declare this in the self assessment online as the line 54 seemed to be the place from all I read and guidance but then I see "If you've received a certificate from your insurer showing a 'chargeable event gain' then complete these boxes using the information on the certificate unless: you've been resident outside the UK for part of the period since the policy was taken out" I asked for a call back from an adviser but haven't received it and have no idea now where to declare the chargeable gain. Help appreciated.
Posted Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:14:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please see guidance here on foreign life insurance gains and where to enter these on the return.

See link:

Gains on foreign life insurance policies (Self Assessment helpsheet HS321)   .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.