Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:34:19 GMT by JPSimpson
Hello, I am just looking for some advice or clarity on how to register for Self Assessment when I have both employed and self-employed income to declare. I have a Gateway ID and have selected the option to register for Self Assessment but have options to register as an employed person OR as a self-employed person. Can anyone advise, please? I am a novice at this! Thanks
Posted Tue, 29 Mar 2022 08:23:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would only register your employment via SA if you were a company Director.

You should register your Self Employment via the following link :

Set up as a sole trader     .  

Alternatively if you are having problems or need to ask further questions you can contact the Self Employed Helpline to discuss. 

They can also register your details over the telephone 0300 200 3500 .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:13:50 GMT by RichardCM Mower
Please clarify your comment as the link to set up as a Sole Trader state that a Self Assessment registration is required?
Posted Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:38:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you register as a Sole trader, this will automatically register you for Self Assessment.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 Jun 2022 13:03:51 GMT by G Lo
Hi, I want to register for Self Assessment while I only have foreign and local dividend income and capital gain. Should I register as Self Employed or Not Self Employed? thank you
Posted Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:03:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are working as a self employed person then you would registerf as a self employed individual for tax purposes. 

However you have only mentioned.  If you are not self employed but have foreign income and dividends not relating to an occupation
then you can complete the SA1 form to register for Self Assessment. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.