Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 23:33:19 GMT by kenling
hi, I am the first year to submit a self assessment. After I got a bill, I called HMRC, He told me there were mistakes on I marked “YES” on Employment and capital gain, it cause incorrect tax bill. I use the remittance base, overseas income I should mark on foreign for my foreign employment and foreign capital gain. therefore, he told me to write a letter to explain this case and no need to pay the incorrect tax. then I post to HMRC on dec2022, and I found they received my letter and Estimated completion is 24 Jan 2023. but I haven't seen any change on my bill yet. however I received a lots of tax payment remind, such as letter/email/phone message to remind me pay the tax on or before 31 Jan 2023. to avoid any penalty or bad record on HMRC , should I pay the incorrect tax bill first? or any further auction I should do? thank you for your assistance.
Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 12:43:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you pay the amount that is currently being requested we will be able to refund any overpayment once the return has been amended.

You should ensure that you pay at least the amount that would be the correct tax bill as you will be charged interest and penalties on any amount due if you do not make a payment.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:25:12 GMT by kenling
thank you for your reply.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.