Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Nov 2021 13:16:37 GMT by Barrie
I received a letter titled "Self Employment Income Support (SEISS) Action needed 5 days after it was dated 2/11/21. It asks me to either file a tax return for 2019/2020 or complete the self employed pages within 30 days or repay the two SEISS grants I received. I filed my 2019/2020 tax return on time but because my income showed as nil for that year I was not given all the pages to complete. I am sorry if this gets a bit long winded but hope that giving you full details will get me the help I need. I already spent 4 hours on the phone being shunted from department to department last week without any advice being given apart from suggesting that I send a letter to you which I have not yet had a reply to and I am concerned that the 30 day period is getting near. After a long run of work as a self employed construction sub contractor I decided to work on renovating my own property in 2019 with a return to sub contracting scheduled for January 2020, the start date of the job I had lined up was put forward a few times and then shelved due to covid however I did a small job in March 2020 but as I did not receive payment for the work until after the new tax year had started it was not included on the 2019/2020 tax return. I continued to trade in 2020/2021 and am still trading now, I made no attempt to claim the third or further grants as I had enough work coming in to get by on. To the best of my knowledge I fulfilled the requirements to claim the first and second SEISS grants that I received in a genuine time of need and the additional information I received with the letter even states that I could have stopped trading on 5th of February 2019 and restarted on 28th March 2020 and still be classed as trading for that tax year. Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. I suffer from high blood pressure and depression and am desperate to get this resolved as it is really affecting me also if I am forced to repay the grants I will need some time to get the funds as my only savings are not in an instant access account and require a notice period before I can access them. Thank you in advance.
Posted Wed, 17 Nov 2021 10:20:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

If you completed the return online you can amend the return and include a self employment page. You can also leave details at the end of the tax return explaining the situation.

If you completed a paper form you will need to complete a Self Employment page and send this to us by post.

Please see guidance here:

Self Assessment: self-employment (short) (SA103S)

Posted Wed, 17 Nov 2021 15:35:24 GMT by Barrie
@HMRC Admin 26 Thank you very much for the reply. Clicking No on "Were your profits more than £1000" prevented me from getting those pages before but I now see that even though my profits were not I needed to press "Yes". I have now completed that section online and hope all will be fine now. With such an obvious Yes or No answer it was an easy mistake to make and may I suggest you consider making the the options more visible without having to click on the help button to see the subtleties of the answer required.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.