Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Jan 2022 17:14:19 GMT by f
I have received 10 RSUs from my employer in Sep-2020. My employer has withheld 5 shares to cover for income tax / NI due They do not appear on my P60 Do I need to report these RSUs and the withheld tax on my self assessment, and if so where?
Posted Thu, 06 Jan 2022 15:08:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, you would show this as other employment income and then enter the tax paid on the foreign section of the return. 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 Jan 2022 18:23:57 GMT by f
Thank you I understand I need to put the income under "Tips and other payments not on your P60" (i.e., value of 10 RSUs) Do I put the tax paid in the section "Employment, self-employment and other income which you paid foreign tax on", where I will include the value of 5 RSUs under "Foreign Tax Paid" (as this is number of RSUs withheld), and 10 RSUs under "Taxable Amount" (same amount as reported under tips and other payments)? To be clear, the shares were withheld to cover for UK Income Tax / NI due, but I need to put it in the foreign section of the return? If relevant, my employer is US-based and the RSUs are on US shares as well
Posted Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:51:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Yes you would enter it under this section of the foreign pages as well as the amount of RSU's included in the employment section.

You are correct in your understansding. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 14:12:31 GMT by Callum275
Hi, I received shares from my employers which were worth £1250 at the point of vesting. I understand that this is the amount I pay tax on. However once I sold them they were worth in the region of £900. Can I claim a tax refund on this as I have paid more Tax on shares that have dropped in value since the vesting date? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 15 Jul 2022 17:37:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Callum275,

Yes you can.
You will need to write in with full details for the relief to be given.
PAYE & Self Assessment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.