Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jan 2022 12:22:45 GMT by brentwood
I am wanting to reclaim tax paid in Germany This total is more than I owe HMRC on my tax return The amount they say I owe is just for NI contributions. There is no mention of any tax. Does this mean that I cannot claim back ALL the German tax I paid because my tax bill is not large enough?
Posted Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:09:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

We cannot refund German tax. We can only give foreign tax credit relief for any tax paid in Germany to any UK tax liable. If there is no UK tax liable then we cannot give credit for German tax.

You may wish to speak to them about claiming tax back.

Relief for foreign tax paid (Self Assessment helpsheet HS263)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.