Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 19:30:52 GMT by John Curran
My Irish pension provider has suddenly started to deduct income tax, which I owe not to the Irish Revenue but to HMRC. It took 48 hours for the Irish Revenue ( to explain and link me to their form IC2 to regain exemption. I need HMRC to stamp the form to confirm I am a UK taxpayer. Webchat advisor told me it would take 45 weeks for this to be dealt with. Is this a mistake?
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:34:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

45 weeks is our current timescale for these items to be processed.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:28:43 GMT by John Curran
Good afternoon Thank you for confirming this is not a mistake. I do understand that you have had staff diverted to other tasks. Can you explain why added to a pre-existing slow rate of response it takes items 45 weeks to process 'these items'. An indication that a backlog was being dealt with would make sense in that any permanent queue of more than say a week implies an underlying administrative problem. It has meanwhile after their initial 48 hr responses about 10 days for the Irish Authorities to deal with this- save for their need for HMRC to deal with form IC2.
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 13:47:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

HMRC understand the frustration regarding this.

Post is dealt with in date order and HMRC are currently focusing on bringing our post queues up to date.

Please be assured that HMRC are doing their best to get post dealt with as quickly as they can. 

Please feel free to contact us at any time to get a timescale of when your post will be worked as this may change. :

Self Assessment: general enquiries    . 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Aug 2022 14:13:49 GMT by Jane M Morrison
I have been deducted emergency tax in Ireland and need HMRC to stamp my IC2 form in order to claim it back in Ireland so I can pay it here. What address do I send the form to? And is the waiting list still 45 weeks?
Posted Wed, 03 Aug 2022 14:55:06 GMT by John Curran
Further to my previous posts some improvement has been made. It took not 45 but 18 weeks to get IC2 stamped and a copy, not the original, returned to me. John 

[Personal information removed - Admin]
Posted Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:20:32 GMT by Jane M Morrison
Hi John, Where did you send the form please? Was it your local tax office or a central Pensions address? If it takes this long I don't want to send it to the wrong address! Jane
Posted Wed, 03 Aug 2022 19:41:34 GMT by John Curran
Dear Janee Morrison, try International Claims Section, Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Collector Generals Division, Government Offices, St. Conlons Road, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary. e mail is
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 12:41:55 GMT by Jane M Morrison
Hi John, thanks but it is the HMRC address I'm looking for in the UK to get the form stamped - do you know where to send it in the UK, please?
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 14:33:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

You should send the form to H M Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS.  

The post is dealt with in date order, with the oldest worked first.  It may take as long as you suggest.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 14:34:42 GMT by John Curran
Dear Jane, Sorry for delay: some problem with the site. I sent my IC2 to HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS I do self assessments only because of my Irish Pension; if like me you are retired this may be the right address for you. That said if your are still PAYE in UK it might be worth checking the address is correct. HMRC sent not the original but a copy of my IC2 but the Irish Revenue accepted it. The exemption certificate Irish Revenue issued for me lasts for 4 years and it was sent to my Cork based pension provider.
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 14:36:36 GMT by John Curran
Jane, In case last posting didn't get through try HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS
Posted Fri, 05 Aug 2022 07:59:48 GMT by Jane M Morrison
Thanks John, (and Admin 24). I'll send it off today and at least I know not to expect a quick turnaround. I am retired and received a lump sum pension with emergency tax deducted so just trying to get that back before I have to pay it in the UK. Your advice is much appreciated! Jane

You must be signed in to post in this forum.