Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:16:21 GMT by nb2020
Hello Regarding the differences between and My mother owns a rental property and fills in a yearly self assessment return. In terms of assistance my Mother is thinking about me helping her with just working out and filling in her online return, and maybe being someone she forwards/highlights correspondence to. In terms of access this could require me to access her online self-assesment account.(possibly only when I am with her, or potentially not) The links above are not clear what you can/can't do in either scenario. I'm wondering what is the minimum I/she needs to do if she wants the described help? Thanks
Posted Tue, 16 Nov 2021 12:10:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The first is the formal process of authorising someone to be able to deal with tax affairs on your behalf.

The second one allows them to be able to view part of your online account.

If you are not an registered tax agent this would not allow you to complete the return online.

You would need to setup an online account for her and complete the return that way.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.