Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Jul 2022 18:24:10 GMT by amygrace1992
Hi, I was made redundant in September 2021. I received £38,650 as redundancy pay. This was paid along with 3 month's notice and holiday pay so I cannot work out tax paid on the redundancy pay. I have reported pay from this employer (excluding redundancy pay of £38,650) in the employment section, along with total tax paid while employed at that company (including tax pay on redundancy pay). I have included £30,000 as exempt redundancy pay and £8,650 as taxable redundancy pay - both under 'other income'. Is this correct? I have no way of splitting the tax between normal income and other income. My return is flagging a 'warning' that the tax within the employment income section looks unusually high (because it includes tax paid on redundancy pay). Thanks.
Posted Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:02:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi,

The redundancy payment should be declared at additional information so you will need to tailor your return to include this if filing online.

Refer to guidance at:

Self Assessment: additional information (SA101)

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:08:25 GMT by amygrace1992
Hi, Yes I have included redundancy payment as other income but I have no way of separating tax the tax between redundancy and normal pay because I received it all as one sum. At the moment I have included the total tax paid in the employment section. Is this correct?
Posted Wed, 20 Jul 2022 08:21:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi amygrace1992,

Yes it is.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.