Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 07 Apr 2023 08:24:31 GMT by Jacob
Hello, I moved to the UK partway through the tax year 2021/2022 and had foreign individual stocks in a US-based brokerage account. I sold all the stocks in December 2022, overall for a loss of ~1400 pounds. On self-assessment, do I fill out the capital gains one to claim the loss? Can I claim the loss on those stocks on my UK taxes, as I used the split-year tax treatment when moving over here and when I bought them. Or do they just count as foreign income, even though the income is negative?
Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:38:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would need to notify HMRC within 4 years of the loss arising in order to use them.

You can do this on the capital gains page if you are completing a return or you can send a letter so that the details are held on file.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.