Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 19:22:21 GMT by
Hi there, Between Jan 2022 and July 2022 I was economically precarious so I did some live event work to keep myself propped up. I made a self assessment account for this. over this time I did not make over the £1k limit and so I was told by some accountants that I didn't need to send anything in, including tax returns. I know now that was incorrect and I wasn't aware I had to terminate my self assessment, however I do think I can appeal the fine I was given due to me not earning the amount needed to pay anything. I called the hmrc line, and they told me I could appeal and end my self assessment online but I was also told to complete the tax return. I submitted the online form to end it, but whenever I try to send in a return it just leads to an error (it's also asking me to submit the wage I earned for two jobs which I wasn't self employed for; they were salaried jobs which do the taxes themselves) I'm honestly completely baffled about the process. I only did this just to get by and now I don't even know what to do. I just want to terminate the self assessment, write the return and appeal the fine. What concrete steps do I need to take? I tried to go through the website but I can't seem to grasp what I'm supposed to do.
Posted Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:58:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Oscar Strokosz,
When you are completing your tax return you need to tell us about all of the income in the tax year, even if you already paid tax on it during the year.
If you are getting an error message on the return click 'ask hmrc online' to be connected to a Webchat Adviser:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:47:56 GMT by Alan Webb
If you have not submitted the return yet and your income was less than £1,000 then you should ask HMRC to cancel the returns required under s8B TMA 1970. If they agree, which they hopefully should, then the requirement to make a return is withdrawn and any penalties cancelled. You cannot make the request if you have already submitted the tax return as it is too late to do so, but if the HMRC Helpline tell you that you must submit a return and then appeal a penalty, rather than them withdrawing the return under s8B that is not the way as it will technically put you in an unappealable position.
Posted Sun, 23 Jul 2023 19:59:04 GMT by
Thanks Alan, I'll try that. I was just about to do the 2021-2022 until I saw it was asking for details on jobs under PAYE

You must be signed in to post in this forum.