Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 02:39:26 GMT by Jack Flood
Hi, could someone explain to me how day trading is taxed here in the UK. I recently became aware of the 30 day rule and was wondering, is the 30 day rule applied for day traders? In the US, you apply as a professional trader to the IRS and they do marked to market accounting. Is there something similar here that I need to apply for? Ihave read the 30 day rule information on the hmrc website but I need specific advice related to my question.
Posted Fri, 13 May 2022 11:50:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
It does not matter whether t/p is buying and selling shares in a day or over a long period for HMRC purposes.
If an individual is buying and selling shares it will normally be taxable under capital gains unless t/ps activities meet the badges of trade.
See CG10260 - Capital Gains Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK ( and BIM20200 - Business Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK (

You must be signed in to post in this forum.