Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 23:32:04 GMT by CP
Hi, the only incomes I have for the tax year 2022-23 are interests from savings (~GBP3,400) and dividends from shares (~GBP1,600) kept in some banks in Hong Kong. I do not have to pay any tax on these incomes in Hong Kong. Would you please advise : (a) whether I need to submit a self assessment; and (b) if yes, under which form/section/page should I provide these income figures. Many thaHnks for your help!
Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 16:12:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CP,

Please note that UK residents who receive overseas income are required to complete a Self Assessment Tax return.
Interest in excess of £2000 should be entered in the Foreign pages (under 'Interest and other income from overseas savings'.
Foreign dividends under £2000 can be entered in the main body of the tax return (under 'Dividends').                  
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return                                 
Tax Return notes          

Thank you.                   
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:28:29 GMT by CP
Thanks for the reply earlier. I just realised that apart from dividends and interest generated in my bank accounts in Hong Kong, I also had some interest incomes (~£2,500) generated from my savings in the UK. As such, please advise which part of the self assessment tax return should I enter the UK savings interest? Many thanks again for your help.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.