Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 Jan 2023 16:23:12 GMT by Ade Leech
I took a lump sum from my private pension pot which has taken me over £50k and will owe tax on child benefit for 21-22. However, the sum I received was reduced to pay the tax on 75% of the total I received. I entered the income on the "Other Taxable Income" section, was this correct? The final calculation is stating I owe tax again on the whole figure? Where is the section for entering tax already paid on the lump sum? Should it have been entered on the capital gains section?
Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 08:09:38 GMT by ray22
Can someone help please. I too received over 50k on my pension on the 6. 4. 22 sods law! I only received circa 37k and paid tax of 17k and I'm not a UK resident. I was informed that I should get a refund but want to avoid this same scenario for 2023.I complete form 43,I assume. What do I then put and where. Do I put I received 50k or 33k and risk getting whacked again on that sum because 17k was already paid to HMRC and I've got no income to declare in UK, I'm 55. Can I get a refund, if so, how much, what form or who do I write too.
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 11:15:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ade Leech,

The amount and the tax deducted should be declared on the UK pension section of the Self Assessment tax return. 

Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 03 Feb 2023 13:04:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi ray22,

If you are not resident in the UK and in receipt of a UK based pension, then it may not be taxable in the UK. You will need to check to see if a double taxation agreement exists between your country of residence and UK.

Tax treaties.  

You can see guidance below about some pension types that remain taxable in the UK. Those advising they are government pensions, remain taxable in the UK.

INTM343040 - DT claims and applications - Types of income: Pensions and Annuities

Where the pension is not taxable in the UK, then you will need to submit a DT-Individual form. You can download and print the form, complete all relevant sections and send to your local tax office in your country of residence.  

Living and working abroad and offshore forms

They will validate the form and return it to you. You should then send it to:


Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.