Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 16:28:06 GMT by colinandjan Friston
Earlier on in this post is confirmation that you use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’, your surname then your initial. If your bank limits you to a certain amount of characters, you should use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’ and as much of your surname as possible.

Pear to Pear no question  .
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 08:46:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Roger C,

It usually takes up to 8 weeks for your account to be updated after the payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions, however it may currently be taking longer, due to the increase in requests.  
Once your account is updated your pension will be backdated to the date your payment was made.  
I am sorry for your frustration whilst dealing with both HMRC and DWP.  HMRC can only advise what National Insurance is missing, we do not know whether it will be of a benefit to you to pay the missing contributions, this is why we ask that you confirm this with DWP before making any payments.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 14:27:34 GMT by logatex
I sent my CF83 last week [9 May 2023] by registered mail - a couple of questions 1) Does someone sign on receipt of registered mail, so I'll know (via Royal Mail) if it's been received? 2) Can I confirm that the important thing is for my CF83 to be in the system by 31 July 2023 in order to make N back-payments from 2006-2017? In other words, that it won't matter - due to the backlog - that my case, and the decision on class 2 or 3 contributions - will probaby not be dealt with until early next year, and thus my payments will not be made until then
Posted Sat, 20 May 2023 10:41:19 GMT by
Hi, Hope you are well. I paid NI contributions on the 3rd November (2022) for year 2021/2022, but my records have yet to be updated. Can you indicate when you think they will be updated? Thanks, in anticipation. Kind regards, 

Name removed Admin
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 09:33:59 GMT by ACB
After consulting the DWP/Pension Centre helpline, I made two voluntary Class 3 NI payments (on 17th February 2023 and 7th March 2023) to convert my twelve “Gap” years to “Full” status using the above 18-digit reference number given by HMRC helpline (0300 20 3500). I also specified the years each of these two payments are to be allocated to the HMRC helpline agent. I was told that these payments would be reflected in my NI record within 8 weeks. It has been over 13 weeks since my first payment and 11 weeks since my second payment. I am due to get my State Pension in October 2023 and am really concerned that these payments are still not reflecting in my NI record.
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 14:14:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Rafal,

We would not recommend using the details mentioned as a reference number. Please contact our National Insurance team helpline on to obtain the correct reference number. 

National Insurance: general enquiries

The deadline for paying Voluntary National Insurance contributions for years 2006 to 2007 to 2016 to 2017 has been extended to 31 July 2023.

If you are unable to contact us before then the alternative is to send in a cheque. This should be payable to HM Revenue and Customs only and we suggest you note your National Insurance number and the years you are paying on the reverse, as well as including a covering letter with this information. This should be sent to:

HM Revenue and Customs
National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
BX9 1AN

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 08:25:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi logatex,

Please find the answers to your questions:

1) Will someone at the office sign on receipt of a registered letter, so the Royal Mail will confirm delivery?

All post is received at a centralised point for scanning onto our system.  If a signature is required for the post they will sign it when the royal mail is received.

2) Due to the long delays, does the deadline of 31 July 2023 for making NI back-payments from 2006-2016 relate to the date when the document is scanned and in the system, rather than any decision being made? i.e. as long as my CF83 is in the system before 31 July 2023 it's not too late:

You will not be penalised for the delays in us replying to your application as long as its received before the deadline of 31/07/2023.  If you are accepted to pay voluntary NICs you will also be given 8 weeks to pay the rates quoted in our reply.

3) I was advised to apply for class 2, on the understanding I may have to pay class 3. Once my CF83 is being dealt with, will I receive clear notification of what to pay, or do I need to re-enter the system again?

NI38 information on the GOV.UKwebsite provides the circumstances that you must meet to be accepted for both Class 2 and Class 3 rates of the voluntary NICs.  You will receive a shortfall  letter providing what you can pay and this will also give the information on how to pay. 

Thanks

Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 07:29:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Alexis,

If you have made a payment of Voluntary National Insurance contributions to enhance your State Pension the current timescales are 8 weeks for allocation.
If you call the National Insurance Helpline on 03002003500 between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, they will check your record and be able to allocate the payment when you are on the telephone.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 08:58:58 GMT by Richard Lake
Hi, I made voluntary NI contributions earlier this year and my cheques were cashed on 7th March. On checking my NI record, it still hasn't been update. When can I expect this to be done?
Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 12:44:31 GMT by
I made an AVC class 3 payment 4 months ago and my NI record has still not been updated. I chased it twice with the helpline in March and mid May. On each occasion it was confirmed my payment was received and I was given an undertaking my payment would be allocated. When I phoned again yesterday I was told the same story. This time I insisted on making a formal complaint and was forwarded to a supervisor who told me PD 1 was responsible for updating my record. He said he would get them to contact me today. I had previously spoken to PD1 in March and was told that they would only deal with my tax queries and nothing else. Needless to say I have not heard from them. I feel I am being given the runaround and no one is taking responsibility for my case.
Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 18:25:38 GMT by
I paid my missing contributions in March and was advised to call after 10 days to get the payment allocated. I rang after 10 days as requested and was told I would receive a letter detailing the new payment and the backdated amount. I heard nothing. I rang again in early May and was told it it would be 3 to 6 months before I would receive anything and if I wasn’t happy to complain to my MP and also this is Martin Lewis’s fault. I used my savings to pay this amount and now the government is holding my money and no doubt making interest on all these additional payments they have received whereas I have lost my interest on the money on withdrawal from savings . You mention 8 weeks in these post replies and that definitely is not my understanding
Posted Mon, 05 Jun 2023 12:06:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi Richard Lake,
The current timescale for the department that will allocate your payment is 35 weeks.
They are currently processing work received on 29 September 2022.  If you are reaching state pension age within the next 4 months, and need your payment to be allocated urgently, please call our helpline on 0300 200 3500. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
Thank you.

Posted Mon, 05 Jun 2023 15:04:42 GMT by colinandjan Friston
In an update 2 months ago by HMRC Admin 20, the latest processing date was for payments received on 16 September 2022. So in 2 months only 2 weeks of payments have been processed. 35 weeks is looking somewhat optimistic.
Posted Mon, 12 Jun 2023 12:10:14 GMT by
Hi please can someone help My husband draws his state pension in Oct 2023. His state forecast shows he has one year short of a full pension but 2016-2022 he has full contributions , he paid nothing 2022/3 as he retired from his job . He has just today paid £665.70 to make 2015/16 a full year. Will he now get the full state pension ? If not and infact he should have paid 2022/3 how can we get the 2015/16 payment reversed and make right the error? Thanks
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 12:29:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

DWP would advise which tax year would be required to ensure the full pension so you would need to check with the Future Pensions Centre.

Contact the Future Pension Centre

Once you have spoken to them, and if you establish that the payment needs to be allocated to the 2022 to 2023 tax year instead, you would then need to contact our National Insurance team.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:32:15 GMT by
Hi, I sent my CF83 from Italy by recorded delivery on 18th May and haven't yet received any aknowledgement of receipt. Would you advise to send again or is there another way to confirm receipt? As a side note, I'm surprised this process isn't managed all online, with immediate automated confirmation of receipt. I'm sure people must send multiple times if they aren't sure the letter's been received, which can't help your side of the process. Thanks
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 13:20:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Steve Sicily,

When mail is received in our Central Mailing Unit, it is scanned onto a WTS (Tracking Service) so that customers are then able to see confirmation that their correspondence has been received in Dept.  
The Mailing Rooms do not send out confirmation/acknowledgement of receipt.  
Our Guidance tells our telephone advisers to allow 4 weeks for the correspondence to show on our Digital Mail Service for approp Team to work.  
If you want to check on progress with the application, you can contact our Helpline from abroad on: +44 19 1203 7010.  Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm.  
HMRC is looking at making more of our forms digital over the coming couple of years and this form may be included in that Programme.  
Please continue to view www.gov.uk , use the Personal Tax Account and install the HMRC App to use our current digital services.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 17:06:30 GMT by
I paid Voluntary class 3 contributions and my NI record seems to have been updated. When will I receive my new pension amount and will it be backdated to when the record was updated. Will I receive a letter confirming all this? I feel in the dark and out of pocket
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 10:18:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

For customers over State Pension Age, once a payment is allocated to the National Insurance record, an electronic update is passed to the DWP. It is then up to them to ascertain if any change is due to the state pension and take appropriate action. The date we received the payment will be taken into account when any increase is calculated.

We are unable to advise how quickly this takes place and you will need to contact the Pension Service team for this information.

Contact the Pension Service

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 13:33:53 GMT by
Hi, What is the current wait time for Class 3 voluntary n.i. contributions to reflect in State Pension payments? Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.