Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 09:41:21 GMT by John W
I paid additional contributions in January and they showed up in my NI record on the HMRC site shortly after, I am still waiting for my pension payment to be updated. I'm not sure when you made your payment Chard, but don't hold your breath.
Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 14:51:07 GMT by
John W. Thanks for your response. I'm not(holding my breath that is) I think it's ludicrous that people are waiting months for a what should be a simple enough assignment by DWP operatives Surely just a few clicks and it should be job done? I'm beginning to think my money should have been left earning interest in a savings account!
Posted Wed, 09 Aug 2023 07:03:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Chard,

If you are in receipt of your UK state pension and have seen an increase in the amount paid to you please contact the Pensions Service part of the Department for Works and Pensions their contact number is 0800 731 0469.
If you are not in receipt of your UK state pension please contact the Future Pension Centre on 0800 731 0175 for more information Contact the Future Pension Centre 
Our banking teams are currently dealing with payments received on 12 June 2023, if you made your payment before this date and you have had confirmation that paying Voluntary NICs will increase your state pension entitlement please contact our NI helpline on 0300 200 3500. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 09 Aug 2023 08:23:09 GMT by Helen D-B
To HMRC Admin Team, Hi, I telephoned HMRC pensions department and subsequently paid several year’s voluntary NI contributions back on 8th November 2022 via my bank account as instructed but my UK state pension still hasn’t been updated to show this. I’m not due my state pension until 2031, realistically should my voluntary NI contributions have been allocated and showing on my pension record online by now, or can you tell me when to expect this to happen? (I do appreciate the department has been inundated with people doing the same). Thank you for your help, Kind Regards Helen
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 09:22:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Helen D-B,

Unfortunately we cannot provide a specific response via this Forum.  
We normally advise to allow 8 weeks for payments to reflect on your Personal Tax Account.  
Your payment should have been allocated by now but it is possible that it just needs manually updated onto your account.  
Please contact our NI Enquiry line on 0300 200 3500 (from UK) Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm.
Have your NINO and payment details (the account you paid in to, date and amount) ready in case our advisers do need to trace the payment at our Banking Section.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:24:37 GMT by Helen D-B
Thanks for your recent reply, I rang the number you gave and it took just over an hour to get it all sorted, (40odd mins waiting 20 talking to a lovely advisor). She told me it should only take 8 weeks now to allocate voluntary class 3 NI contributions from making the payments, so I waited too long before ringing HMRC, my advice to anyone else is to give them a ring (I rang afternoon) they are really nice and very helpful, my state pension was updated almost immediately online (though it could take up to 72 hrs). Thank you to Catherine and HMRC colleagues.
Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:04:38 GMT by
Just wondering what the current wait time is for top ups for part filled years to be displayed on your on-line record. I submitted mine on 14/07/2023, so currently 16 weeks approx. The future pension centre helpline gives no information other than it's taking longer than the stated 8 weeks.
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:26:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Gowna,
Current allocations of voluntary contributions are around 6 to 8 weeks for them to be updated.
If you have made a payment on 14/07/2023 please contact the NI helpline so they can investigate this and advise you accordingly.
Number - 0300 200 3500
Overseas - +44 191 203 7010
Open - Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm - Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Web Address - www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:17:19 GMT by Viram
Hi, I need some help. I paid up to date Voluntary Class 3 National lnsurance contributions on Aug 2023. I paid up to 30 years contribution, but I only got credited for year 2022-23. This means you received my payment for 2022-23, what happened to the other years. It's nearly 26 weeks since i sent the monies. Kind regards
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:32:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Please can you contact our National Insurance team and they will be able to allocate your payment of voluntary National Insurance class 3 contributions straight away. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2024 07:09:50 GMT by Moobin
Good morning. I am living overseas and following the "State Pension statement" I received from HMRC dated 20 December 2023, I transferred funds to cover the voluntary NICs for the 17 years identified in said statement. The bank transfer was made on 22 January 2024 following the guidelines, and 8 weeks have already passed, yet my record remains unchanged and I have not received any confirmation of receipt from HMRC. Should I be concerned or has the timeframe for updating records been extended? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:32:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If your payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions is still not recorded on your personal tax account (PTA) then please contact our National Insurance team and they will be able to have this money allocated straight away.

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 02 Apr 2024 14:52:29 GMT by Marian Thornton
I have not even got past first post. I was told to fill in the form last summer which I duly did. Then I was told it was a wait of 22weeks to receive a response detailing what years I had and what were missing. I have telephoned recently and this wait is now 45 weeks (WEEKS not days). Although the deadline has now moved to 2025 I am still concerned that I will not get a response in time for me to make voluntary payments for missing years. What can I DO? Thanks
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 11:57:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We can confirm that you will not be penalised because of our delays and you will be given extra time to make any payments if we do not provide you with a full reply by April 2025.

If you would like to check where your query is in our work queue then you can contact our National Insurance team and they will be able to help you.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 14:58:18 GMT by MJT
I’m now worried. I contacted Future Pensions and HMRC regarding voluntary payments for 5 years of my missing NI contributions 2017-2021. I sent the money on the 4th a March 2023 and HMRC confirmed they received the money on the 5th March. This morning I checked my NI contributions and saw that they had only paid off 1 year and it wasn’t any of the years I wanted to pay for, it was 2023. I called HMRC and the customer service person said he couldn’t correct the mistake but would raise a form for the problem to be looked at. The person said they had no idea how long it would take. I’m now getting concerned as the longer this goes on the harder it’s going to be to prove that I sent the correct amount, as informed by Future Pensions, and the years I wanted to pay off was agreed by the person I originally spoke to.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.