Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 13 Jul 2022 19:24:01 GMT by Liz Purbrick
I registered for self assessment but then did not earn over £1000. I have followed all the links to check I don't need to do a return and to contact HMRC and filled in all the forms. I am still getting messages saying I am being fined and this will keep going up. I have tried contacting but cannot get through by phone. How can I prevent a fine?
Posted Fri, 15 Jul 2022 10:40:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Liz Purbrick,

You will need to contact our Self Assessment department to review this, our phone lines can be busy later on in the day, the line is quieter if you can call before 10am.
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:27:04 GMT by Liz Purbrick
I've tried to call lots of times and can't get through! My complaint was received on 30th June and also no contact. How can I possibly sort an issue if I can't contact you! It's incredibly anxiety inducing constantly receiving messages saying you owe money!
Posted Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:22:09 GMT by Ben
I'm in the same position. I submitted a form requesting removal from the 20/21 tax year on 31st January and it still hasn't been processed. I have also submitted a penalty appeal on 11th March which hasn't been processed yet. I'm now being fined £10 a day!
Posted Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:45:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 30
Hi Liz Purbrick,

Our helpline can be very busy, I apologise if you have contacted several times and have been unable to get through. We can't access any records from the forum.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:27:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Ben
If you have not received a reponse to the letter, I would advise to contact our helpline to query the current position.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thankyou.
Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.