Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:32:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

Good Afternoon ,  

You can leave this box blank if you do not have a UK post code. 

It will ask for the UTR (Unique taxpayer refernce) and one of the following 3:

NINO ( national insurance number)

UK postcode

Or  if you live abroad .

Thankyou.

Regards.

Posted Mon, 19 Apr 2021 21:42:09 GMT by lizb
The system asks me to choose 2 items I can given information about and gives me 3 options. UK passport (which I have), credit reference questions and Northern Ireland Driving licence (which I’ve never had). I chose UK passport and credit reference and it asks me for my UK postcode. It won’t let me leave the box empty or enter a foreign postcode.
Posted Wed, 21 Apr 2021 13:48:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

The gateway will only let you verify with a UK postcode.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:58:11 GMT by Marsk
I am experiencing the same problem now trying to create a gateway account. I've tried calling different help lines with at least half an hour spent on each and the last one left me hanging for half an hour with no feedback. (at which point I gave up un the call) No-one in the system seems to know the answer. Yet the rules say we have things to do to be in compliance. Has anyone a thought on how to get the necessary Gateway Account? You can't even go old school and write a letter as no addresses are provided for correspondence. Thoughts anyone?
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:50:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Marsk

I am sorry to hear you are having technical issues online.

Help is available at :

Technical support with HMRC online services

Also depending on your enquiry you may be able to chose a paper option instead of online ,you can contact your own tax office to discuss this :

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thankyou.

Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.