Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:52:24 GMT by Laura Holmes
I have an unusual case. I have filed by paper a self assessment as a non domiciled/non citizen landlord. I do have a British driving license and a National Insurance number. I do not owe tax . As I am not British I am not able to file online and due to some change last tax year that I dont understand I am unable to use a 3rd party software company to submit on behalf. I received a penalty notice and assumed my paper submission did not make it and I had not recorded the delivery. I sent again (from the US) recorded. I got another penalty notice. I called and apparently they have tracked that they received both my paper submissions but they had not been applied to my account and the man on the phone could not help me. I completed an online appeal on 19th Sept and changed my communication preferences to online but have not received a reply to my appeal. I try to call but cant get through. I dont know what to do ... anyone have this happen? how can I get my account fixed? They confirmed they have the return but not allocated to my account.
Posted Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:24:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Our records are normally updated to show the date a return has been received before the return is processed as these are processed in date order. Please contact our Self Assessment team again as we may need to get the record updated.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Oct 2022 14:56:00 GMT by Laura Holmes
I am at my wits end .. I have been trying to call for 2 weeks now and spending over an hour on hold each time ( International rates) and still cant get through to someone. How else can I get my case looked at ; online appeal had a vague tax return was not satisfactory - what does that even mean? why cant you specifically tell me what is wrong. Or better yet let me submit online!!
Posted Fri, 28 Oct 2022 15:32:18 GMT by
Hi Laura Holmes, 

You will need to contact the Self Assessment helpline
For calls outside the UK, please dial +441355359022. The lines are open 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

The other alternative is to write to HMRC.

The address is:

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Please include your national insurance number and if appropriate your Self Assessment UTR number on any written  correspondence.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.