Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 18 Nov 2022 08:21:15 GMT by Thomas
Hello, I am filling my self assessment for 2021-2022 and not used to do it. I am stuck at the “Underpaid tax and other debts” section. The two following questions are a complete mystery to me. I can’t find any PAYE Notice of coding for these years. I have looked everywhere in my letters and everywhere on my HMRC profile. The only ones I can find are 2020-2021 and before. - Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 1 of 2) Amount of underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 2021-22 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding). Please enter '0' if there is nothing shown. - Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2) Amount of estimated underpaid tax for 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022 to be included in your PAYE tax code for 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding). Please enter '0' if there is nothing shown My PAYE code has already gone down few month back so I guess HMRC should already know these numbers? I phoned but it has not helped at all. What do I do? All I want is to declare small amout of revenues I have on the side of my normal employee PAYE. I find the process very complicated.. Thank you for your help. Best regards,
Posted Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:04:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

The system will usually prepopulate with a figure if we had a deduction in your code for an underpayment. Our Income Tax helpline can advise you if there was a figure included in your tax code for an underpayment. See link below:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:25:52 GMT by Thomas
Hi, If the system doesn't populate anything for me. Does it mean I don't have underpaid tax? I called HMRC and they told me I should know if I have underpaid tax and they don't know about it.. not really helpful unfortunately. Also I didn't receive a Paye Notice of Coding. I guess all my taxes are already paid through the PAYE system with my employer/payroll, so it should be up to date and I don't have outstanding taxes for this, no? I am doing self assessment to declare a small rental income which is already being calculated by doing the self assessment, I don't believe this is considered as an underpaid tax as it it paid following the self assessment return. Please let me know if my understading is wrong or if I am missing something. Thank you. Kind regards,
Posted Wed, 14 Dec 2022 12:39:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

The online Self Assessment tax return will auto populate with underpaid tax included in your tax code for 2021 to 2022 (SA110 TC1.7), underpaid tax included in your tax code for 2022 to 2023 (SA110 TC1.8) and outstnding debit included in your tax code for 2021 to 2022 (SA110 TC1.9).  

You are given the option to accept the figures supplied or to enter an alternative figure you deem to be correct.  

If the boxes show '0.00', then there is no underpaid tax in your tax code.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.