Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 23 Nov 2022 13:38:58 GMT by Charlotte Fahy
HMRC have requested I submit a self assessment tax return, as in previous years I have met the criteria. For the tax year ended Apr 2022 I did not meet the criteria for needing to submit a self assessment tax return. On the guidance it advises I should inform HMRC using the 'digital assisstant', via my online account or in writing. I cannot find a digital assistant, and my online account only gives me the option to complete the tax return, not to complete a "return not required". Writing a letter seems like a very slow and difficult to trace way of doing this.... I tried calling the HMRC contact number this morning and was on hold for more than 30mins before cutting off. Please help!
Posted Fri, 25 Nov 2022 12:12:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Charlotte Fahy,

Once you have gone through the criteria on this tool, there is a link that will take you to an online form to request removal from Self Assessment
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 05 Dec 2022 11:28:37 GMT by LauraLovis
Hi, I am not self employed and should not have received a self assessment request, I am currently PAYE working for the NHS. I was self employed about 15 years ago and had a period of unemployment last year. I followed the link posted above but do not have the 2 pieces of paperwork to verify my identity. I will write to ask I be removed from the system, will this be sufficient? Will someone contact me to confirm?
Posted Fri, 09 Dec 2022 11:58:07 GMT by Andrew Williams
Hi,

Once we have reviewed your letter we will write back to confirm removal or advise of the position.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.