Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 01 Jan 2024 17:21:43 GMT by
When I go to submit my tax return online, I get a message saying "name tax return: 2022-23 Submitted Return. As the HMRC service was not used to file a tax return for this year, you can't use the service to amend that return". I haven't submitted a 2022-23 return but I think this message is because previously I requested not to fill in a tax return but when doing the "Check whether you need to fill in a tax return" assessment, I forgot to select "yes" regarding income from property as we rent a room under the "Rent-a-Room Scheme". It would not make a material difference to my tax return because the rent is well under the relief we can claim under the "Rent-a-Room Scheme" - nevertheless, the assessment says I need to file a tax return but I can't online now. There is mention of 'reactivating' but how do I do that ?
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 15:46:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you record was previously closed for 2022 to 2023 but you now need to file a tax return you will need to contact HMRC to re-open the Self Assessment record for 2022 to 2023.

Details of how to contact our Self Assessment team can be found at:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.