Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 07 Jun 2022 08:27:18 GMT by brian52
I'm completing my 2021-2022 tax return. In the 'Underpaid tax' section it says: 'Amount of underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding): £ 0.00 Is this figure correct?' I can't find any Notices of Coding anywhere in my personal account, and I've not received any by post. So how do I check them please?
Posted Tue, 07 Jun 2022 14:35:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

On the PAYE section of the online account, if available you can 'check previous tax years' and under 2021/22
there should be an option for 'tax code at end of the year' .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Jun 2022 14:50:00 GMT by brian52
Hi, Yes I've found this, but it only gives the tax code, it doesn't show any underpaid tax that would be shown in the notice of coding. There are several sections that imply that you should check the notice of coding, So where is it? Thanks
Posted Wed, 08 Jun 2022 13:15:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
The Personal Tax Account will not give a full breakdown of the code.
If your code is different to the standard 1257L code you would need to query this with our Income Tax department.
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Wed, 08 Jun 2022 14:22:26 GMT by brian52
OK, so I can't answer the question 'Amount of underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding): £ 0.00 Is this figure correct?' . I'll just have to assume it is.
Posted Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:44:05 GMT by Sandra Sivia
im looking to understand what i should fill in here as well.
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:16:06 GMT by JasonTax
I don't know if this is too late for you, but it may help others. I searched for ages and managed to find my PAYE coding notices in my personal account. I don't know why they don't come up when you click on the PAYE section and I think the help they give on here sounds like it comes from a robot as none of the questions asked are answered satisfactorily. This has worked for me: sign into your personal tax account www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account once signed in (account home) select Business tax account from the bar at the top under self assessment there is an option to "view payments and credits, select this the option to "view PAYE coding notices" should be in the right hand menu, select this you can chose which date you want to review I hope this helps and works for you. I don't know why they've made them so difficult to find.
Posted Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:08:48 GMT by brian52
Hi JasonTax, Thanks, too late for this year but should be useful in the future and to others. Agreed it's ridiculously well hidden, and why couldn't HMRC answer a simple question?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.