Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 09 Apr 2021 13:49:03 GMT by Daiana Marques
Hi, I am a family member of a European citizen, I have a resident visa with premise to work in the UK. I have an offer of remote work from a company based in the Netherlands. This company has a unit in the UK but does not have the same business unit that I would work for and so they cannot hire me here. Scenario 1: 1 - Could I be hired by the Netherlands as an employee? 2 - How does paying taxes work for me in a situation like this? Could you please guide me about the taxes and fees that I would need to pay? 3 - How does the payment of obligations by the company to the UK government work and what would they be? Scenario 2: 1 - Could I work as a contractor and start a company as a legal resident in the UK? 2 - How does paying taxes work for me in a situation like this? Could you please guide me about the taxes and fees that I would need to pay? 3 - Is there any legal guidance related to the payment method, being an international transaction? If you can answer these questions or give more information that is relevant and help me, I appreciate it.
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 06:23:08 GMT by Andjanie
Dear HMRC, Could you please let me know also what the answer on this query is? Thank you so much in advance.
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 11:57:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

HMRC cannot give financial planning advice, however, you can be resident in the UK and still work for a non UK company. The income would need to be declared to the UK and taxes paid here. If the non UK company deduct tax at source, HMRC can look at giving credit for this.

You would need to register for Self Assesssment. Please see guidance here on foreign income.

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.