Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Jan 2023 17:50:01 GMT by
I have not been able to find an answer to this online and have just been cut off after being on hold to HMRC for 75 minutes, My daughter needs to pay CGT from a sale of shares and I cannot find how to Register for a Self Assessment for a child. I have just tried Registering for a Self Assessment online, but it will not allow me as the applicant is under 15 years and 9 months. Please can someone advise?
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 15:21:19 GMT by
Hi SelfAssChild,

You can complete the fill in, print and post form:

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 17:06:04 GMT by
I've done that and received a letter with a UTR number for my 11-year-old daughter but when I register online for an account it says again that she can't have an HMRC account because she's under 16 so we're back to square one. Can she use the UTR number to log in anywhere to submit a self assessment?
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 13:57:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will need to contact our online services team for assistance.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 15:18:22 GMT by
I eventually discovered that everything has to be done on paper and posted (ie you cannot submit online).

You must be signed in to post in this forum.