Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 00:16:44 GMT by
Hi, I earn over £60k and increased contributions to my NEST(RAS) pension to around £5k in total. Because its after tax, I understand I can claim back 20% of the tax on that money. Which section of the online form do I use to claim back the tax relief? And am I able to get that money paid as a lump sum, rather than a change in my tax code next year. Thanks for your help
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 14:33:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
On the SA100, you would enter the gross figure (your payment into the pension scheme plus 20% claimed by the pension provider) in box 1 of page TR4 in SA100.  When tailoring your online tax return, please navigate to page 3 of 3 and tick yes to "Did you make contributions towards a personal pension or retirement annuity? This does not include payments you make to your employer's pension scheme, which are deducted from your pay" and save and continue.  In the new section "Personal pensions and retirement annuities", enter your gross figure in the box "Payments to registered pension schemes (also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called 'relief at source'). Enter the payments and basic rate tax".

You must be signed in to post in this forum.