Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:50:29 GMT by Alan OBrien
Good Afternoon, i can get into my self assessment account via the government gateway. I completed my 2021-22 tax year self assessment and a refund is due. I note the system has changed. You now have to fill in a form to request the refund. The form wants me to validate my ID using TWO of the following which i do not have. 1) a current uk passport - I dont have one 2) a P60 - i am retired - so not applicable to me 3) a Northern ireland driving license - i have a British driving licence 4) Credit ref questions - i could probably answer these The form then directs me to support as it cannot validate my identity - very odd given i am in my tax account ? I have contacted online support and on the phone multiple times and been cut off without response. How do i proceed with this please, is there another way to validate my ID or a paper method to request the tax refund ? Thank you
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:35:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The only way to verify your ID is with the online questions.

The security had changed a few months ago, and if you havent verified using these questions you need to do so in order to request repayment.

If you contact our Self Assessment department we can issue the repayment. See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:06:22 GMT by Alan OBrien
Thanks for the response however i have been around that loop many times without success.. if you can actually get someone on the phone they don't seem to be able to resolve the question. It seems the new validation system introduced denies a lot of people access - example; UK citizen, no valid passport, retired or unemployed (hence no p60) living on the mainland (so uk driving licence not NI) means they cannot validate online. Not sure who came up with this system but i predict it will need to be changed. I guess i have to go back to the 70's then and get out some paper and a pen and write to the tax office.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.