Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 03 Dec 2022 14:55:27 GMT by JackClarke
Hi, I work full time (38 hours a week) and pay tax through PAYE. However, recently I made a website and started selling digital memberships / Google Adsense. I've registered self assessment and now I'm lost. I've tried to speak to mutiple accountants locally with no response and those that did reply informed me they aren't interested (becuase it's digitally service). As it's my first time Ideally I want to use an accountant as they will know more than me. What can I do? Did disover QuickBooks which looks helpful for self-employed. I've downloaded some helpful spreadsheets with advice on what to claim, what you need to submit to HMRC etc. I work full time 08:00-16:30 (employed) and then an additional 17:00-22:00 (self-employed) Mon-Fri then just 09:00-22:00 (self-employed) Sat-Sun. Do I need to include my PAYE full time employment on my Self-employment form? I plan to do this online. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 07 Dec 2022 10:48:32 GMT by
Hi JackClarke,

Yes, you will include your employment income as well as your self employment income. 

You will tailor your online tax return to include both the employment and self employed income details. 

Further guidance is at:

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 12 Dec 2022 17:01:43 GMT by JackClarke
Hi, Many thanks for your response. It seems I don't need to panic now! I've finally managed to secure an accountant (£35/mth) and they have informed me I don't need to worry as since I didn't start earning until 8th May 2022 It's not due until 31st January 2024. I'm just wondering since I'm paid in USD do I inform HMRC the USD pricing or what reaches my bank in GBP? I have also asked my accountant this waiting on a response. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 14 Dec 2022 12:26:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The official exchange rates to use, can be found at :

Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format  .

 You will need to convert from the figure you are paid in US dollars to UK pounds sterling. 

You can use any of the formats on offer eg. yearly average, spot rate or montly rate . 

You cannot use the figure deposited into your bank account, as this is likely to have fees for exchanging currency deducted from it . 

There is no tax relief available when converting currencies .

THank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.