Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 14:36:24 GMT by SAIsunrise
I am resident in EU but have UK income from : private pension, savings interest, dividends, and rental income. On HMRC tax return, thus far, I have been declaring all these 4 types of income. However, I read on facebook that I only need to declare rental income and UK pension as I do not yet have a NT tax code. I am confused and would be grateful to know if I need to continue declaring all these 4 types of income or just the rental and pension. Many thanks for any clarifications.
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 13:07:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Please refer to guidance at Tax on your UK income if you live abroad
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 15:08:50 GMT by SAIsunrise
Thanks but I do not seem to understand. Surely there must many people in a similar situation. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 08:07:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi SAIsunrise,
We can only offer general advice on this forum so if you are still unsure after refering to the link previously given, you will need to telephone +44 13 5535 9022 for specific advice.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 12:05:43 GMT by SAIsunrise
Thanks, but that number you gave is not working. The voice message does not give an alternative number. Thanks.
Posted Sun, 04 Jun 2023 02:42:46 GMT by BOWAB
Hello I am non-resident for tax purposes. I pay income taxes in Singapore, I was made redundant by my company in 2022 but the redundancy payment was paid out by UK entity and fully taxed by HMRC, despite me not having worked in UK during any part of that tax year, nor the previous 10 tax years. I requested for a tax reclaim from HMRC but I understand that I will need to first fill in a Self Assessment form. I am not sure then what to put in the Employer section of the SA form since my Employer was an overseas employer, with salary paid locally. Should I put the employer as per my Singapore employer (now ex-employer)? Thank you
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 11:15:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
HI bowab,

If the payment was made by a UK entity then you will have received a P45 and, or, a P60 showing the detals. This should therefore be declared on an employment page.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 10 Jun 2023 13:35:14 GMT by wingsham
Hi SAIsunrise, Some info for you, may not answer your question directly though. I have been looking into income tax calculation for non-UK residence recently, my understanding is - There are two ways to calculate income tax for non-UK residence, (1) using the normal rule, all taxable incomes (saving, dividend, private pension, property rental etc) and personal & other allowances are all included in the calculation. This is the one that most people familiar with. (2) using the “disregards income” rule, saving interest, dividend are not taxed and excluded for the calculation as these are classified as disregards income. Non-disregards incomes are private pension, rental property etc. However, personal & other allowances are also excluded for the calculation. This calculation simply taxed non-disregards income at 20%. HMRC will carry out the two calculations and select the lower outcome from the two calculations as your income tax liability. However, I believe taxpayers can also request HMRC to carry out only one specific calculation on the tax return. If you only declare non-disregards income then it only makes sense that you also request HMRC to carry out income tax calculation based on "Disregards income" rule. However, I am not sure you are allowed to declare non-disregards income only in the first place (your original question). It is a question for HMRC !! Anyway, I would declare all taxable incomes and let HMRC to carry out the two calculations and select the best outcome for you. I can't see any advantage to ask HMRC to carry out a specific calculation. Income tax notice from HMRC should show you both calculations in details. Hope this help !!
Posted Tue, 13 Jun 2023 16:04:51 GMT by SAIsunrise
Thank you Wingsham. I am not sure if the software I am using gives the two options. I'll include all income and hopefully I'll be taxed the lower option. Many thanks!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.