Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:36:32 GMT by TeresaYuen
Hi, I newly moved to the U.K.. Many years ago, I bought some shares in Hong Kong. Those shares are now still held in a bank in Hong Kong, and I may sell it somedays. As the price dropped so much in these year, I am sure it will be a loss when I selling it. However, I have not write down how much was the price while I was buying those shares, and there is no record from the bank. In other words, I don't have accurate data to proof that is a loss. For this case: 1 Do I need to declare how much I loss by selling shares? 2 How to proof how how much I loss without accurate data?
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 08:20:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi TeresaYuen,

If, having explored every avenue, you are unable to establish how much you paid for your shares, please make it clear (when you declare the Capital Gain to HMRC) that your calculation is based on estimated purchase-price figures.  

Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.