Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:11:31 GMT by FitLife
Hello, When I give my UTR and NI number the next message pop up "The information you gave does not match an HMRC record" I already called HMRC (03002003310). First time CA said message to technical problem department who answered as they cannot help. Second time CA said she pass this problem to other department and still does not work however this is my details. I cannot complete the self assessment online, the paper form deadline is already overdue. Who can solve this problem if the HMRC staff cannot? What is the solution? Thank you I look forward to receiving your response. Regards
Posted Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:23:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

I would complete a paper return, and if any penalties are added to your account you can appeal and advise
that you were unable to complete online due to not being able to access your account.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 May 2022 11:49:38 GMT by Tim Smith
Hi, I have this same problem and so does my wife, I am wondering what the link is and why we can not use the online portal. Also, why can the customer services not advise on the matter? How do we access information such as a SA302 form, can we request this by writing? We also received a penalty for late submission, although the self assessment had been submitted by recorded delivery months in advance. How do we confirm if this and our appeal have been received? Thanks,
Posted Thu, 19 May 2022 13:36:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

An SA302 can be issued by our Self Assessment department, they can also advise regarding the late filing penalty.

You can contact them by telephone or by writing to us:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 20 May 2022 09:12:28 GMT by Hamish Martineau
hi i gave all my information including postcode and it says, The information you gave does not match our records. am i using the wroing postcode or information?
Posted Mon, 23 May 2022 09:49:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

This would suggest the information we hold does not match what you entered,
you may need to update your details with our Income Tax department :

Income Tax: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.