Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:04:38 GMT by Gooddoglife
I've not yet completed my 2019-2020 self assessment. I did a stupid thing - I was going through a tough time in my personal life, I couldn't figure out how to complete it and just stuck my head in the sand about it. Very stupid I know but now I'm trying to sort it all out. I think the problem is my vague employment status at the time and I'm hoping someone can clarify what employment status I should put myself as for the purposes of tax. In April 2019 to April 2020 I was contracted to work for a company and only that company BUT I wasn't on payroll. The company didn't pay my NI, pension, anything like that. I provided dog training services for clients of that company. Largely I used the company vehicle to get to clients, petrol and vehicle costs were paid for by the company. The company provided the majority of training equipment and resources that I would need. I do have some expenses for that time but very few. Can I just clarify that for this period, I would be classed as a contractor? I didn't work for any other companies during this time. However I'm unable to submit my self-assessment as apparently I can't put '0' in expenses for things like loans or materials. I don't have expenses to claim for materials. I'm really confused
Posted Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:02:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Gooddoglife,

Please check guidance here as to whether you need to report this income as employment income or self employment income:

Check employment status for tax

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.