Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 11:25:10 GMT by Gusman1859
Hi there, I was a non resident landlord up until Nov 2020 when I sold my property. My 2020/21 self-assessment return, which was submitted by my then accountants, informed HMRC of the changes. However, the online service indicates that a tax return is expected to be submitted for 2021/22, even though I'm no longer resident with no UK-based income. I was informed by the accountants that I must submit a 'nil return' to HMRC for 2021/22. However, it states that non-residents cannot use the online system and must use software instead. Can you advise me on submitting a 'nil return'? I am non-resident in UK but cant have my SA record closed due to an ongoing enquiry hence the need for a Nil Return. Can you post a link to the Nil return form please. Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:37:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Gusman1859,

A nil return is a return with no income entered.
If you can't submit a return online please contact our helpline so that we can look to record a nil return.
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.