Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:19:38 GMT by
I registered for self assessment due to receiving child benefit. I have had that many tax code changes etc I am at a loss with it all. Every year I am being told I owe tax. Never had this issue when I was on PAYE anyway I digress so my issue is as follows By the way I am tax unsavvy to say the least. My tax calculation for 2022 - 2023 I am owed £412.80 The Tax calculation received from HMRC say I owe £1,358.80 in underpaid tax from previous years in tax code 2022-2023. My statement from 2021-2022 shows Brought forward Balance £0.00 Balance payment for 20/21 inc in PAYE code for year 22/23 £1,358.80 Tax Due Adjustment for balance for 20/21 from return payment return Credit £430.60 Balancing payment for 20/21 inc PAYE code for 22/23 £928.20 Overpayment from 21/22 Return £1020.43 Balance £0.00 as I got a payment of £1,020.43 So if my balance was zero for 21/22 was £0 how can I owe the £1358.80 tax now? I have not received an updated statement will this balance so I do not need to pay before the January cut off.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 08:58:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Richard Thorn,
We would need to access your record to review the calculaltion Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.